Academic Information

Admissions Policy

To be eligible to enroll in college credit coursework from any of our institutions, you must qualify in at least one of the following categories:

  1. Be a graduate of a senior high school accredited by its State Board of Education.
  2. Have a GED Certificate.
  3. Be in good standing at the college you are transferring from.
  4. Have junior or senior status at your high school.
  5. Be enrolled in a gifted program and have special permission from your principal. (Gifted students are required to provide a copy of IEP documentation to the Registrar's Office of their selected college.)

(please contact the registrar of the college that you are enrolling with to obtain a high school authorization form).

Even if you do not meet any of the above requirements you may be admitted as a "special student" by contacting your selected college's Admissions Office at the address below:

Barton Community College
245 NE 30th Road, Great Bend, KS 67530
Tana Cooper, Admissions, 1-800-748-7594
Email: BCC Admissions

Colby Community College
1255 South Range, Colby, KS 67701
Doug Johnson, Admissions, 1-888-634-9350
Email: CCC Admissions

Dodge City Community College
2501 N 14th Ave, Dodge City, KS 67801
Admissions, 1-800-262-4565
Email: DCCC Admissions

Garden City Community College
801 Campus Drive, Garden City, KS 67846
Admissions, 1-800-658-1696 or 620-276-9537
Email: GCCC Admissions

Pratt Community College
348 NE S.R. 61, Pratt, KS 67124
Ann Ruder, Admissions, 1-800-794-3091 ext. 114
Email: PCC Admissions

Seward County Community College/Area Technical School
1801 N. Kansas, Box 1137, Liberal, KS 67901
Admissions (620) 417-1101
Email: SCCC Admissions


Academic Policy

Registration takes place on the dates specified in the calendar. Certain procedures are established for registration of students.

  1. Acceptance for admission to your selected college does not assure entrance into all courses or curricula. If you lack requirements for the program of your choice, you may become eligible by satisfactorily completing specified prerequisite courses.
  2. Registration should be preceded by interaction with a college advisor for the purpose of selecting curricula and courses.
  3. You may not register for more than 21 hours in any semester without approval of your selected college's Dean or Vice President of Instruction.


Because of the nature for some EduKan courses, you will need to show that you are ready to pursue these courses just as you would if you were taking them on one of our campuses. Prerequisites are required for some EduKan courses, and showing that you have met the prerequisites can be done in one of two ways:

1. Providing a college transcript showing the successful completion of a prerequisite course. Grade should be "C" or higher.

2. Submitting standardized test scores. Either ACT or ASSET test scores may be used for this purpose.

If you are using a college transcript of previous course work for the prerequisite, please request that your former college send an official transcript to the registrar at your college of enrollment. Your transcript needs to be on file by the day the course starts.

If you are using ACT scores, please request that ACT send a copy of your ACT scores to the registrar at your college of enrollment. Scores must be on file by the time the course starts. ACT scores must be no more than two years old.

If you wish to use ASSET test scores, please request that an official score report be sent from the college where you took the ASSET test to the registrar at your college of enrollment. Scores must be on file by the time the course starts.

If you have not completed prerequisites through previous college courses and if you do not have ACT or ASSET test scores, you are encouraged to make arrangements with your selected EduKan college campus for ASSET testing, or to locate a community college near your home and arrange for ASSET testing.

Questions about prerequisites, testing, test scores or transcripts should be directed to the registrar at your college of enrollment on your selected EduKan college campus.

Barton Community College
Student Support Services
245 NE 30th Rd Great Bend, KS 67530
Email: BCC Student Support Services
Phone: 1-800-748-7594

Colby Community College
Student Services
Lisa Stithem
1255 S. Range, Colby, KS 67701
Email: CCC Student Services
Phone: 785-462-3984 x215

Dodge City Community College
Student Services
Tammy Tabor
2501 N. 14th Ave, Dodge City, KS 67801
Email: DCCC Student Services
Phone: 620-227-9217

Garden City Community College
Student Services
Ryan Ruda
801 Campus Drive, Garden City, KS 67846
Email: GCCC Student Services
Phone: 620-276-9597

Pratt Community College
Student Success Center
Amy Jackson
348 NE S.R. 61, Pratt, KS 67124
Email: PCC Student Success Center
Phone: 620-450-2135

Seward County Community College/Area Technical School
Assistant Registrar
Alaina Rice
1801 N. Kansas, Box 1137, Liberal, KS 67901
Email: SCCC Registrar
Phone: 620-417-1062


Grading System

The following symbols are used for student evaluation.
Grade Grade Points Per Credit Hour
A--Excellent 4.0
B--Above Average 3.0
C--Average 2.0
D--Below Average, passing 1.0
F--Failing 0.0
* I--Incomplete - No credit
** W--Withdrawn - No grade computed, no credit

* An incomplete "I" is given only when a course is incomplete because of illness or other conditions usually beyond your control. An incomplete "I" must be approved and removed by the instructor and if the incomplete "I" is not removed within the prescribed period of time, it will be changed to an "F."

** Your withdrawal from courses will be recorded as "W" according to the dates posted in the academic calendar. After the final drop date published each semester, official class withdrawals will not be processed.

Special Note: All non-repeatable courses will be counted one time for total hour purposes and the last grade received will be the grade computed in the grade point average.


Military Service School Credit

Participating EduKan community colleges will allow college credit to veterans and military personnel who have successfully completed specialized training in a military service school. The evaluation for the number of credit hours to be awarded will be based on the recommendations as set forth in "ACE Guide to the Evaluation Experiences in the Armed Services," published by the American Council on Education. Veterans must fill out the prescribed form from the Office of Veteran's Affairs that shows the correct identification of the training program by title, length, location, and course number.


Transferability of Courses

Courses were selected that in general have good transferability to other public Kansas Community Colleges and baccalaureate-oriented state and regionally accredited Regents Universities. If you are taking these courses to fulfill degree requirements at any institution, it is your responsibility to confirm with your academic advisor that the courses will meet the specific degree and major requirements of the college in which you plan to transfer.


Transfer of Credit from Previous Colleges and Universities

If you have received previous credit, a transcript from previously attended institutions must be filed with the Registrar's Office of your selected college. Your advisor will determine which transfer credit hours will meet the graduation requirements that were set up for your approved program of courses.


Transcript Request

A student's records will only be released to the student or to a third party upon the receipt of a written request from the student authorizing the release of said records.

If it is inconvenient for a student to request a transcript from the Registrar's Office in person, the following guidelines need to be followed in order for the student's records to be released.

A written request from the student must include:

  • permission to release their academic records
  • address of where they are to be sent
  • signature of the student
  • social security number of the student
  • Fee: The cost and policy regarding the payment of fees for transcripts will vary from college to college. Please select the appropriate college below for the information you need regarding the cost of transcripts, the name, address and phone number of the person who will be processing your request. All fees are payable in advance and transcripts will not be issued if any financial holds exist.

A student may fax their request if they provide all of the above information plus either a VISA or MC account number with the expiration date and cardholder's name to cover the cost of the processing fee.

A student may fax their request if they provide all of the above information. A major credit card account number with the expiration date and cardholder's name to cover the cost of the processing fee can be accepted.

All transcripts sent to the student will be stamped "Student Copy" unless otherwise stated on the request.

Please include a phone number where you may be reached if there is a problem processing your request.



Barton Community College
245 NE 30th Road, Great Bend, KS 67530
Lori Crowther, Registrar
800-748-7594 ext. 241
Fax: 620-786-1160
Fee: $5.00

Colby Community College
1255 South Range, Colby, KS 67701
Brette Hankin, Registrar
Fax: 785-460-4691
Fee: $5.00

Dodge City Community College
2501 N 14th Ave, Dodge City, KS 67801
Stephanie Lanning, Registrar
800-742-9519 ext. 409
Fax: 620-227-9350
Fee: $5.00

Garden City Community College
801 Campus Drive, Garden City, KS 67846
Nancy Unruh, Registrar
Fax: 620-276-9573
Fee: $5.00

Pratt Community College
348 NE S.R. 61, Pratt, KS 67124
Sally Prosser, Registrar
620-450-2218 or 800-794-3091 ext. 221
Fax: 620-672-5594
Fee: $5.00

Seward County Community College/Area Technical School
1801 N. Kansas, Box 1137, Liberal, KS 67901
Alaina Rice, Assistant Registrar
Fax: 620-417-1079
Fee: $5.00


Credit by Examination

Students whose educational experiences appear to have given them proficiency in a course equivalent to that ordinarily attained by those taking the course in regular class may be granted permission to take an advanced-standing examination in the course. For specific guidelines and requirements for credit by examination consult the homepage of your selected college:

Barton County Garden City
Colby Pratt
Dodge City Seward County

Academic Withdrawal Policy/Dropping Classes

If students need to withdraw from a class after that class has started, they may do so under the following policy:

  • Dropping a class could affect your Financial Aid. Check with the Financial Aid Office at your college for more information.
  • Students can drop classes from their very own personal web page by clicking on the Drop link in the left-hand menu through the 100% refund date (see specific drop dates listed on the web page , "Academic Info", "Semester Dates").
  • Students who wish to drop their class after the 100% refund date can do so by contacting the registrar at their college of enrollment. The final date to withdraw from a course and receive a "W" on your transcript is posted in the Semester Dates link. After this date courses cannot be dropped.
  • Once the full refund date has passed, students should contact the registrar at their college of enrollment to have the class dropped for them.

It is recommended that students visit with the instructor or advisor before dropping a class.

Please Note: It is the responsibility of the student to drop or withdraw from any class.


Chief Academic Officers

For additional information on academic policies at your selected college of enrollment, please contact the Chief Academic Officer below:

Barton Community College
Dr. Penny Quinn

Colby Community College
Joyce Washburn

Dodge City Community College
Michael Ahern

Garden City Community College
Kevin Brungardt

Pratt Community College
Jim Stratford

Seward County Community College/Area Technical School
Cynthia Rapp


Student Ethics Policy


As a student of the EduKan system, you will abide by all rules and regulations published by EduKan and agree that you are subject to the jurisdiction of all disciplinary panels and procedures established by your college of enrollment to address violations of rules or the honor code of your college.

Student Work

With the exception of group/collaborative projects explicitly assigned as such by your instructor, all assignments and tests submitted to your instructor shall be performed solely by you. You will not submit work that is plagiarized or that otherwise violates copyright laws of the United States of America. If you have been found guilty of academic misconduct by your college of enrollment and disciplinary action results in banning you from the course and/or future enrollment at that college, you will then be banned from enrolling in any EduKan courses from another member college.

Student as EduKan System User

As a user of the internet courses of EduKan, you will respect the privacy of other users, the integrity of the computer systems, and other users' data. It is your responsibility to respect the copyright protection of all licensed computer software used by EduKan. You will not violate the security of the EduKan system through hacking, phishing, or running malicious programs such as spyware, viruses, and other unauthorized web content. You will not harass, stalk, threaten, abuse, insult, or humiliate any student, instructor, or administrator using the EduKan computer system or any other computer system utilized by EduKan. If you have been found guilty of any of the actions identified above by your college of enrollment and disciplinary action results in banning you from the course or courses and/or future enrollment in a course or courses at that college, you will then be banned from enrolling in any EduKan course or courses from another member college.

Classroom Environment

You will respect the EduKan classroom environment. You will not intentionally obstruct, disrupt or interfere with the teaching and learning that occurs on the EduKan website. You will not engage in any activity that demeans any EduKan student, instructor, or administrator. Such activities include, but are not limited to, oral and written communication that is ethnically derogatory, sexist, or racist in nature; unwanted sexual advances or intimidation; profane communication in any manner.


As a member of the EduKan community, you are held accountable for upholding not only civil and criminal laws, but your college of enrollment standards as well. You will be held liable for monetary damages for any such wrongful actions you undertake. Should EduKan or your college of enrollment pursue legal action against you, the venue will be the State of Kansas Enrollment confers neither immunity nor special consideration with reference to civil and criminal laws. Disciplinary action by EduKan or your college of enrollment will not be subject to postponement on the grounds that criminal charges involving the same incident have been dismissed, reduced or are pending in a civil or criminal court. In addition, your college of enrollment reserves the right to pursue disciplinary action if a student violates a standard and withdraws from the college before administrative action is final.


Grievance Policy and Procedure


The purpose of this policy is to secure, at the lowest possible level, equitable solutions to problems, which may arise, affecting college employees, students, or others. This does not include grade appeal. (Furthermore, this does not include termination or non-renewal of tenured faculty members, which shall be handled pursuant to statutory provisions; grievances relative to Title VI, VII IX, Section 504 or the ADA, which shall be handled pursuant to the grievance procedure for such action, adopted by the Board). It is agreed that these proceedings will be kept as informal and confidential as may be appropriate at any level of the procedure. If at any time during the proceedings, the aggrieved person feels his/her problem is not being handled in a satisfactory manner, they should document the grievance/complaint in writing and submit to the EduKan Office.


1. LEVEL ONE - The Executive Director of EduKan. If the complaint cannot be resolved at a lower level, the aggrieved person shall notify the Director of EduKan and request an informal conference with the appropriate dean, within ten (10) working days after the grievance occurs. Upon receipt of the written grievance/complaint, the conference will be scheduled. At this conference, the aggrieved person should seek to resolve the matter informally.

2. LEVEL TWO - President of the Specific Community College.

a. If the aggrieved person is not satisfied with the disposition of his/her grievance at Level One, or if no decision has been rendered within five (5) working days after presentation of the formal complaint in writing to the EduKan office, he/she may file the grievance/comlaint in writing, with the President, or his/her designee, within ten (10) working days after the decision at level one, or fifteen (15) working days after the written documentation was presented, whichever is sooner.

b.Within five (5) working days after receipt of the written grievance/complaint by the President, or his/her designee, the President, or his/her designee, shall meet with the aggrieved person in an effort to resolve the grievance/complaint.


Student Grade Appeals

If an EduKan student desires to appeal a grade, they must do so through the college of enrollment. The policies and procedures of the grade appeal process of the college of enrollment will be followed.


FERPA Policy

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, also known as the Buckley Amendment, affords certain rights to students concerning their education records. FERPA provides for the following: the right to inspect and review education records, the right to seek to amend those records, and the right to limit disclosure of information from the records. FERPA applies to all institutions which receive federal funds under any program administered by the Secretary of Education.

FERPA rights begin for a student when he or she becomes 18 or enrolls in a higher education institution at any age.Directory Information is data items that are publicly releasable, so long as the student does not have a "No Release" on his or her record. Each institution establishes what is considered to be directory information. Directory information cannot include: race, gender, social security number, grades, grade point average, country of citizenship, or religion.

Contact your college of record/college of enrollment's website or the U.S. Department of Education.

Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20202-5901
(202) 260-3887- Telephone
(202) 260-9001 - Fax
FERPA@ED.Gov - Email


© edukan. All rights reserved.